Active Grants 2004 - 2005
1. Aguilera, R. J. Molecular Studies on Engulfment-Mediated DNA Degradation. National Institutes of Health (SCORE), $577,006, June 1, 2003 – May 31, 2007.
2. Aguilera, R. J. RISE Scholars Program at UTEP, NIGMS, NIH $858,103 (total), March 1, 2004 – February 29, 2008.
3. Aguilera, R. J. UT System STARS Grant, Establishment of a Vaccine and Protein Characterization Center, $480,000, January 1, 2005-December 30, 2005.
4. Aley, S. B. T. cruzi (Chagas Disease) in the West Texas Border Region, Lizanell and Colbert Foundation Grant, $10,000, August 1, 2003 – June 30, 2005.
5. Aley, S. B. and Licon, A. Trypanosma cruzi (Chagas’) in the Border Region. US – Mexico Borderlands Collabrative grants, CONAHEC, $30,000, August 1, 2003 – December 31, 2005.
6. Arenaz, P. Functional Analysis of the Chinese Hamster AP Endonuclease Gene (chAPE1). National Institutes of Health (SCORE), $399,399, June 1, 2004 – May 31, 2007.
7. Bain, L. J. (PI) Does the lack of MRP1 alter the expression of the other genes? NIH R15 ES12417-0151, $148,000, August, 2003 – July, 2005.
8. Bain, L. J. Baldwin, W. S., Primm, T., Irwin, L. Aley, S., Rael, E., Dominguez, D., Leung, Y-M. Acquisition of a DNA microarray reader and scanner. NSF, DBI-0420504, $207,152 direct costs, including $62,000 in matching from UTEP. July 2004-June 2006.
9. Bain LJ "Impact of heavy metals on macroinvertebrates and fish along the forgotten stretch of the Rio Grande," NSF ADVANCE grant (provides support for Catalina Ordonez, a Ph.D. candidate), January 2005-May 2005, $6,595.
10. Baldwin, W. S. Endocrine disruption mediated through the orphan nuclear receptor PXR. RCMI/SCORE proposal through NIH/NIGMS. $392,011 direct costs. June 1, 2003-May 31, 2007.
11. Das, S. (PI) MBRS-SCORE Sub-project, Phospholipid synthesis by Giardia lamblia, an early-diverging eukaryotes. NIH, SO6GM08012, June 1, 2004-May 31, 2007. $312,000.
12. Das, S. Arachidonic acid metabolism in Colonic carcinoma cells. UTEP-Tobacco Foundation. $18,000. (Specific Role-PI). March-August, 2004.
13. Ellzey, J. Director, Analytical Cytology Core Facility, Border Biomedical Research Center. NIH-RCMI, 5 G12RR08124, June 1, 2003-May 31, 2008. $670,153. 5% release time and one month summer salary.
14. Ellzey, J. NIH-SCORE Collaborator with Dr. Jorge Gardea-Torresdey. The Use of Desert Plants for Bioremediation. 16.6% release time and one month summer salary.
15. Garza, K. M. (PI) SCORE NIGMS Subproject Examination of antigen presenting cell features that influence the induction of T cell tolerance and autoimmunity $427,280. June, 2003-May, 2007.
16. Garza, K. M. (PI) NSF Biology Directorate The UTEP Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates in Molecular and Cellular Biology Program $443,776. April, 2004-March, 2009.
17. Irwin, Louis (PI) NIH, NIDCD #R15DC005179-03Gene Expression in Conditioned Taste Aversion. $25,000 January 15, 2002- January 14, 2005.
18. Leung, M.-Y. and Aley, S. B. Bioinformatics Program Development – Partnership between PSC and UTEP. Pittsburg Supercomputing Center, $79,968, submitted August 27, 2004.
19. Leung, M.-Y. and Aley, S. B. Bioinformatics Program Development – Partnership between PSC and UTEP. Pittsburg Supercomputing Center, $79,968, submitted August 27, 2004.
20. Roling, Jonathan, A and Baldwin, W. S. (Faculty advisor/Co-PI). Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Minority Academic Institutions (MAI) Graduate Fellowship Program FY2003 Fellowship Award for Jon Roling. U91620701. September 2003-September 2006. Approximately $30,000 in direct costs per year while completing Ph.D. program.
21. Saldivar, S. J., Baldwin, W. S.(Co-PI) Detection of COX-2 in the pre-malignant phase of cervical cancer. $20,000. Texas Tech University Clinical Research Seed Grant Program. August 1, 2002-Apr 30, 2004. Submitted through Texas Tech. Funding ended this year.
22. Saldivar, S. J., Baldwin, W. S. (Co-PI) Cyclooxygenase-2 Overexpression and Inhibition in the Premalignant Phase of Cervical Carcinogenesis. $50,000; $47,500 direct costs. November 1,2002-December 31, 2004. UTEP part $31,600. Funding ended this year. Extension provided to finish up a few experiments.
23. Jones, L. P. UTEP Early Medical School Acceptance Program (EMSAP) with UTMB Galveston, Director, Renewal. Funded. $11,000.
24. Jones, L. P.UTEP Hispanic Center for Excellence (HCOE) with UTMB Galveston. Director. (New Proposal). Funded. $48,000.
25. Jones, L. P.UTEP Hispanic Center for Excellence with Texas Tech University. Director. Renewal Funded. $16,200.
26. Jones, L. P.UTEP Hispanic Center for Excellence with Texas Tech University. Director. (New supplement). Funded. $56,000.
27. Jones, L. P. Joint Admissions to Medical School Program. Director. Renewal. Funded. 16,000.
28. Jones, L. P. Stern Foundation (New Grant) Funded. $3,500
29. Johnson, J. D. (PI) NSF, FSML Development of Indio Mountains Research Station Headquarters, Phase II. $128,400 (including $29,400 cost sharing and $1,000 PI’s Research Incentive Award from ORSP) September 2004-August 2007.
30. Johnson, J. D. (Co-PI) NSF, UMEB. Integrating Environmental Biology and Molecular Approaches at UTEP. $449,948. September 04-August 08.
31. Johnson, J. D. (PI) T&E, Inc. Grant. Comparative and Spatial Ecology of Three Sympatric Species of Rattlesnakes. $2,460. May 2003-May 2004. Supported Justin Hobert’s radio telemetry research.
32. Johnson, J. D. (PI) NSF, Supplement to Development of Indio Mountains Research Station, Research Experience for Teachers (RET). $23,363. August 2003-August 2004. Supported two El Paso area high school teachers’ curriculum development and research at IMRS.
33. Johnson, J. D. (PI) NSF, Field Stations & Marine Labs. Development of Indio Mountains Research Station Headquarters. $99,875. Sept. 2001-Oct. 2004.
34. Johnson, K. (PI) Effect of RNA Interference on CFTR Transgene Expression. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (JOHNSO0310) $86,400 ($80,000 direct; $6,400 indirect) April 1, 2003-March 31, 2005.
35. Lieb, C. S. The HerpNET Community Informatics Project (HerpNET). The University of Kansa Center for Research, Inc. $32,518, Sept. 1, 2003 – May 31, 2005
36. Lougheed, V. NSF – Sub-contract with Michigan State University, An Ecological Assessment of the Muskegon River Watershed to Solve and Prevent Environmental Problems, $23,516 (direct costs); $25,404 (total), May 15, 2005 – May 14, 2006.
37. Mackay, W. (Jose Pacheco) Revision of the New World Thief Ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Solenopsis): A Phylogenetic Study Based on Morphological Characters and mtDNA Sequences. 50% time assistantships, UTEP ADVANCE Initiative, submitted November 15, 2004.
38. Mackay, W. UMEB: Integrating Environmental Biology and Molecular Approaches at UTEP. NSF $499,948, Sept. 1, 2004 – Aug 31, 2008.
39. Mackay, W. Distribution and Expansion of the Red Imported Fire Ant. EPA, $78,174. Sept 1, 2002 – Aug. 31, 2005.
40. Mackay, W. P. Ant Systematics, Museum of Comparative Zoology, $3,000, 2004-2005.
41. Mayberry , L. F. (Co-investigator) on a bi-national project funded through the University of Texas School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus. Intestinal parasitic, H. pylori and enteroaggregative E. coli infection in relation to domestic fecal contamination in El Paso and Ciudad Juarez. Funded by the Center for Border Research, $75,000, June 1, 2004-August 31, 2005.
42. Primm, T. Research Grant from the Lizanell and Colbert Coldwell Foundation. Development of Quinones as Antimycobacterial Agents. Oct. 1, 2004-September 30, 2005, $25,000. This was the only proposal funded from UTEP in this review cycle.
43. Primm, T. Received $3,000 award from the Crohn’s Research Foundation to fund a project generating a murine model of infection with Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis for Crohn’s Disease. Co-Investigator is Dr. Kristine Garza and a collaborator is Dr. William Charmberlin, gastroenterologist at Texas Tech Medical School in El Paso.
44. Primm, T., NIH, NIGMS Bridges, Border Bridges to the Baccalaureate Program, $196,044 (direct costs); $209,293 (total), July 12, 2005, - June 30, 2006,
45. Rael, E. D. MBRS-SCORE Program at the University of Texas at El Paso. National Institutes of Health, $5,574,958, June 1, 2003-May 31, 2007.
46. Natalicio, D. (E.D. Rael, Program Director). Border Biomedical Research Center, NIH (RCMI Program), $9,079,646, June 1, 2003 – May 31, 2008.
47. Rael, E. D. MBRS-SCORE Program at the University of Texas at El Paso Supplement. National Institutes of Health, $1,643,604, June 1, 2004 – May 31, 2007.
48. Tweedie, C. NSF – Sub-contract with San Diego State University, Biocomplexity associated with the response of tundra carbon balance to warming and drying, $23,471 (direct costs); $29,337 (total), September 1, 2004 – August 31, 2005.
49. Tweedie, C., NSF – Sub-contract with Michigan State University, Rapid assessment of recent changes in land cover and carbon balance in Beringia, $143,809 (direct costs); $157,915 (total), April 15, 2005 – March 31, 2006.Walsh, E. MBRS-SCORE Sub-project, Assessing impacts of heavy metal mixtures using genetic variation as a biomarker, NIH, SO6GM08012, June 1, 2004-May 31, 2007. $252,256.
50. Walsh, E. Evaluation of Freshwater Spring Habitats in the Chihuahuan Desert (Dissert. Project: D. Wambuguh). T&E Inc., $2500.
51. Walsh, E. J. (Cynthia Morgan) Revision of the Genus Crematogaster in North America. 50% time assistantships, UTEP ADVANCE Initiative, $6,225, June 1, 2005 – August, 2005.
52. Walsh, E., NSF, Community Composition and Phylogeny of Microinvertebrates of Chihuahuan Desert Waters (U.S. and Mexico), $212,418, July 15, 2005 – June 30, 2007.
53. Zhang, J. (PI) Paso del Norte Health Foundation, Center for Border Health Research, “Autoantibodies as serological markers for detection and diagnosis of liver cancer in Hispanic population” $75,000, December 2003 – June 2005.
54. Zhang, J. (PI) Tobacco Settlement Fund. “Detection of antibodies to p16 as marker in lung cancer” $11,500 , June 2003-August 2004.
55. Zhang, J. (Co-PI) Dr. Das (PI). Tobacco Settlement Fund, “Surveying the Genes for Fat Metabolic Enzymes in Patients with Lung Cancer from the Border Community: Identification of Critical Genes that are Involved in “Unchecked” Cell Division; $18,000, June 2003-August 2004.
56. Zhang JY (PI). Molecular identification of cancer-related antigens in lung cancer. Lizanell and Colbert Coldwell Foundation, $10,000, September 2003 to August 2004
57. Zhang JY (PI), Leung MY (Co-PI). Molecular identification of tumor-associated antigens as markers in hepatocellular carcinoma. UTEP Advance GRA Grant. $4,400, 2005 Summer Semester. (funded on December 2004).